I spent several years addressing different problems in the challenging field of computer vision. I still find this area one of the most exciting and rewarding. Research in computer vision requires borrowing ideas from many fields and using some clever engineering to solve real problems.
Here I am listing some of my papers that are unique in some aspects. The paper 1 is the first paper in dynamic vision. The paper 2 presented results that are now commonly used in many practical systems. Paper 3 though in computer vision, started going towards databases. Paper 4 and 5 resulted in creating significant interest in dynamic vision. Paper 6 is the paper that became a very popular paper on range images. Another earlier paper by Besl and Jain influenced many computer vision researchers to look into range images. Paper 7 was a detailed foundation on edges in scale space. Paper 8 showed the limitations of the structure from motion approaches popular at that time. Paper 9 gave rise to interest in textures that result in many flow related applications.
1. R. Jain, D. Militzer and H. Nagel, “Separating a Stationary Form from Nonstationary Scene Components in a Sequence of Real World TV Frames,â€? Proceedings of IJCAI 77, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 612-618. 1977.
2. R. Jain, “Extraction of Motion Information from Peripheral Processes,”IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, PAMI-3, 489-503. Sept. 1981.
3. T. F. Knoll and R. Jain, “Recognizing Partially Visible Objects Using Feature Indexed Hypothesis,” IEEE J. Robotics and Automation, 2(1), 3-13. 1986.
4. R. Jain, S. Bartlett, and N. O’Brien, “Motion Stereo Using Ego-Motion Complex Logarithmic Mapping,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, PAMI-9, 356-369. May 1987.
5. I. K. Sethi and R. Jain, “Finding Trajectories of Feature Points in a Monocular Image Sequence,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, PAMI-9, 56-73. 1987.
6. P. Besl and R. Jain, “Segmentation through Variable-Order Surface Fitting,â€? IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, PAMI-10 (2), 167-192. 1988.
7. Y. Lu and R. Jain, “Behavior of Edges in Scale Space,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 11,337-356. April 1989.
8. C. P. Jerian and R. Jain, “Polynomial Methods for Structure from Motion,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 12(12), 1150-1166. 1990.
9. A. Ravishankar Rao and R. Jain, “The Analysis of Oriented Textures through Phase Portraits,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. 14(7), 450-460, 1992.