While working in computer vision, I started seeing the role that a powerful knowledge system plays in solving vision problems. This encouraged me to look at organizing models in an indexed database to use them effectively in hypothesis testing and verification mode. From there I got interested in organizing images and video in databases and finding ways to index them. That was the beginning of my interest in multimedia information.
Paper 1 with Gupta and Weymouth was the first paper in image databases and generated significant interest in image databases. Face databases are likely to become very popular in near future. Paper 2 was the first paper in that area. Paper 3 is a detailed research in the use of similarity measures that are so important in image databases. In paper 4, a new approach to dealing with semantics in multimedia databases is presented.
White did some excellent work on organizing multidimensional data for similarity queries. This work is in paper 5. Swanberg and Shu started developing video databases with me (paper 6) that was further developed by Hampapur (paper 7 and 8).
1. A. Gupta, T. Weymouth, and R. Jain, “Semantic Queries with Pictures, The VIMSYS Model,” Proceedings of VLDB’91, 17th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, Barcelona, Spain. Sept. 3-6, 1991.
2. J. Bach, S. Paul, and R. Jain, “An Interactive Image Management System for Face Information Retrieval,” IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Special Section on Multimedia Information Systems. Publication. 1993.
3. Simone Santini, and Ramesh Jain, â€œSimilarity Measuresâ€?, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (21), 9, September 1999.
4. Simone Santini, Amarnath Gupta, and Ramesh Jain â€œEmergent semantics through interaction in Image Databasesâ€? IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, summer 2001.
5. D. White and R. Jain, â€œSimilarity Indexing with the SS-tree,â€? Proc. 12th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering, New Orleans, LA. 516-523. February 1996.
6. D. Swanberg, C. -F. Shu, and R. Jain, “Knowledge Guided Parsing in Video Databases,” Proc. of IS&T/SPIE’s Symposium on Electronic Imaging, Science and Technology, San Jose, California. January 1993.
7. R. Jain and A. Hampapur, “Metadata in Video Databases,” SigMod Record 23(4), 27-33. December 1994.
8. A. Hampapur, R. Jain, and T. Weymouth, “Production Model Based Digital Video Segmentation,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, 1(1), 9-46. March 1995.